Engineering Manager, Datastores
1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Lead the team building storage solutions for all of Slack’s online data
Slack enables people all over the world to communicate and collaborate together. Teams of all scales — from the world’s largest public companies to the smallest of startups — use Slack to get work done, so we take performance and reliability very seriously. A taste of our scale:
- The average user spends over 10 hours connected and 2.5 hours active in Slack every single day
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 10M+ daily active users, over 3 billion web requests, and 10s of billions of database queries.
- 2 Petabytes of database storage
For millions of people, Slack is the primary communication tool they use at work all day long. They expect it to be exceptionally reliable and fast, all the time.
The Datastores team builds, operates and scales the distributed storage systems that stores all of Slack’s online data. The team’s primary customers are all engineers at Slack and so it is important to keep abstractions simple yet powerful while getting ahead of the scale, performance and reliability needs of today and tomorrow. For more on how we do this using Vitess see this recent blog post.
We are looking for a manager who is excited about both operating and developing the data storage solutions at Slack and leading a team to solve challenging distributed systems problems. The technical and cross-functional problems in this role are equally as important, meaning this manager will need to develop partnerships with other teams to establish empathy and understand their use-cases.
What you should have
- You have 2+ years of engineering management experience building productive, high functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- You are a very strong verbal and nonverbal communicator. You’re adept at understanding complex technical concepts and helping teams make decisions to move forward as well as communicating those decisions up.
- You have experience with data storage, on both the development and operations side.
- You excel at planning out your team’s work and finding staffing solutions to ensure the most important work gets done every quarter.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈