Data Scientist - New Grad 2021
1 month ago
Job type: Other
Hiring from: Anywhere
[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
At this time, it seems that we’ve identified a sufficient number of candidates to complete our planned New Grad hiring for 2021, and are not reviewing additional applicants.
Over the next month, however, we'll be continuing to evaluate our 2020 business needs. If you'd like to be contacted should additional positions open up, please apply so that we can follow-up with you in ~January to see if you're still considering new opportunities then.
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
Because Quora is such a data-driven company, our data scientists play a central role in the product development process by uncovering key insights from our data. As a data scientist, you'll work closely with engineers, product designers, and product managers to devise appropriate measurements and metrics, design randomized controlled experiments, build visualizations, and tackle hard, open-ended problems. You'll also develop tools and infrastructure to scale and automate the analyses that enable rapid product iteration. Quora has a wide range of rich data, giving you ample room for exploration and creativity. We use a variety of tools -- primarily Python and SQL — to analyze data and communicate results with the rest of the company.
While Quora's data scientists come from a variety of backgrounds, including statistics, computer science, economics, physics, mathematics, sociology, chemical engineering, and so on, we all share a love for data and continuous learning. Especially in your first role post-graduation, we realize that mentorship is important for professional growth and development. Every data scientist has a mentor and weekly 1:1s with their managers to get feedback and support for your career growth.
To give you a taste of what data scientists at Quora do, here are some example projects:
- Analyze traffic patterns to similar questions and understand the metric implications of duplicate questions
- Forecast growth trajectory of Quora in different languages and identify growth bottlenecks and drivers
- Evaluate long term effects of a ranking algorithm change beyond short term metric gains as shown in experiments
- Devise metrics and build dashboards to measure the success of a new product feature or initiative
- Explain suspicious metric spikes as measured by dashboards and A/B tests
- Make trade-off and recommend product decisions when a key metric improves but another one drops in an A/B test
- Extract actionable insights from broad, open-ended questions to influence product strategy and drive roadmap decisions
- Analyze data to understand the root causes of metric movements and uncover growth opportunities
- Design and evaluate A/B tests to make informed recommendations on product changes
- Develop metrics and create dashboards to orient the direction of product development and track the success of the product
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in a scientific or quantitative field
- Proficiency in using SQL and procedural programming languages (e.g. Python, R) to manipulate and analyze data
- Rigorous coursework in statistical techniques (e.g. hypothesis testing, regression)
- Relevant past internship or research experience working with large data sets and experiments
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment and combine quantitative skills with product judgment to translate numbers into insights
- Demonstrated ability to clearly explain data results to cross-functional teams
- Experience in working with large data sets and distributed computing tools (Hive, Redshift)
- Experience pushing code and navigating a complex codebase
- Active Quora user with curiosity about the product
Check out these resources (all on Quora!) to learn more.
- Quora Data Science Team Session: https://www.quora.com/session/Data-Science/1 Quora data scientists answered a bunch of questions on Quora.
- Our Blog: Check out some of the things we've written up to share: https://www.quora.com/q/quoradata
- Machine Learning Engineer vs. Data Scientist: This is a commonly asked question. See https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-a-machine-learning-engineer-and-a-data-scientist-at-Quora. If you are primarily interested in machine learning, please consider applying to our machine learning engineering opportunities instead of data science opportunities.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: Anywhere.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈