2 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
- Job Title: Data Scientist, Product
- Location: Remote
- Position: Full-Time Employee
- Department: Engineering/Product
- FLSA Status: Exempt
About Hello Alice:
Hello Alice is leading a movement to connect small business owners and entrepreneurs to the resources they need to grow and scale their companies, regardless of industry, geography, capitalization, prior experience or cultural constraints. We’re a passionate team building a rapidly-growing, predictive technology that supports over 200,000 small business owners from all 50 states and beyond through our free digital platform, helloalice.com. Hello Alice serves all entrepreneurs, and we wholeheartedly believe that if New Majority business owners -- women, people of color, those with military connection, the LGBTQ+ community, entrepreneurs with disabilities, founders from small towns, and immigrants -- are provided better access to resources, they can change the world, positively impact our economy, and generate jobs for all. Hello Alice is a Series A backed company with solid financials and a notable list of investors.
Hello Alice is a fully remote team, so all locations are considered.
As a Data Scientist, you’ll utilize analytical, statistical, and programming skills to collect, analyze, and interpret large data sets. Develop data-driven solutions to difficult business challenges. Conduct analysis that includes data gathering and requirements specification, processing, analysis, ongoing deliverables, and presentations.
You’ll report directly to the VP of Product and will inform and influence decisions using data and research, using analytical, statistical, and programming skills to collect, analyze, and interpret large data sets. You will turn your learning into narratives that support the business, product development and researchers from other areas including user research and marketing research. Your work will have a direct impact on requirements specification, business processes, ongoing deliverables, and presentations.
Role and Responsibilities:
Here’s what you’ll be working on day-to-day, but as a nimble organization that puts our small business community at the forefront, flexibility is key, and other responsibilities may arise.
- Apply various data science methods to understanding the most important aspects of our product, users, and business.
- Organizing disparate facts and findings into powerful narratives that have the broadest possible application within Hello Alice.
- Evangelizing evidence-based decision making by partnering with key decision makers and driving general accessibility of data and insights.
- Design and build data set processes for modeling, data mining, and production purposes.
- Determine new ways to improve data and search quality, and predictive capabilities.
- Perform and interpret data studies and product experiments concerning new data sources or new uses for existing data sources.
- Develop prototypes, proof of concepts, algorithms, predictive models, and custom analysis.
- Provide research on topics including Hello Alice's business model and recommendation techniques.
- Produce quantitative and qualitative modeling of business dynamics, user behavior, etc.
Required Skills and Experiences:
- 2+ years of professional industry experience doing quantitative analysis. An advanced degree (MS, PhD) in a quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Economics, Physics) a plus.
- Productivity Tools - Email, Microsoft Office or equivalent
- Agile Tools - Trello, Jira, or TFS
- Expert in at least one programming language for data analysis - (e.g. Python, R, MATLAB, pandas)
- Experience working with data technologies that allow effective storage and analysis of large amounts of data - (e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Presto, S3, etc)
- Expert in designing and testing experiments.
- Experience with statistical and machine learning methods to build descriptive and predictive models.
Who We’re Looking For:
We love diversity, but these are some of the characteristics that thrive in this role.
- You love to collaborate: You work across functions (product, marketing, support, and engineering) to turn data and ideas into meaning for our users. You involve others throughout the data research and analysis life cycle and make it easy for them to participate in this process. You share and collaborate on your ideas and concepts with your peers, engineers, and other team members to solicit feedback early and often.
- You are an advocate for the business: You have a deep passion for understanding the key challenges in our industry, and our business. You are fascinated by the subjects that will have the greatest impact, not the problems in themselves. You want to turn data insights into real solutions that impact the business and our customers.
- You make efficient predictions: You have a broad knowledge of algorithms to select the right one, and moreover, know which features to adjust to best feed the model. You know how to combine different data so they complement each other. As a data scientist, you will champion processes that enable teams to use data in their work while staying nimble.
- You can work on a mass scale: You know how to handle multi-terabyte datasets to build a robust model that holds up in production. You have a good idea of computation time, what can be done in memory and what, on the other hand, requires Hadoop and MapReduce.
- Self-Starter: We’re a fast-paced team that likes to think outside the box, so dig in to never-been-done-before projects, and figure out who can best help you execute.
- Data-Driven Problem Solver: Synthesize complex or diverse information, then use intuition and experience to design the right workflow and solution. You won’t always be right, but you’ll apply those learnings going forward.
- Default to Action: Time is of the essence as work to solve the barriers for our business owners, so our team prioritizes quick decisions based on sound judgment. It’s also how we learn quickly, gather the right information, and refine our solutions.
- Respect, Always: Building a business is an emotional experience, so it’s important to always respond promptly and kindly to our small business owners. Actively solicit owner feedback, and anticipate their needs by getting to know them and their communities. Internally, our team communicates often, respectfully challenges one another to build the best outcomes, and works as a collaborative team to leverage our unique strengths.
- Professional, but Human: Write clearly and informatively, edit always for spelling and grammar, present numerical data effectively, and show up on time, with a prepared agenda. Lead the team, no matter your position, and exemplify the hard work and grit exhibited by the small business community we support. We’re also human, so we believe in enjoying the journey and keeping it fun. There’s always a place for kind-hearted humor and witty observations.
- Creative Planning: Develop workable implementation plans that leverage the wealth of resources available to our team. Create actionable, detailed road maps that elevate Hello Alice and push the boundaries of what we are capable of accomplishing both as a business and for the owners we support.
- Be Scrappy: We operate with an entrepreneurial mindset, testing and iterating, and starting with small budgets to prove our theories. Every team member contributes to profits and revenue, and is responsible for optimizing organizational resources, whether it’s time, money, or energy. We love to do a lot with a little, but aren’t afraid to invest when an idea shows traction.
- Stakeholder Focus: Maintains positive and collaborative connection to key stakeholders. Understands needs, goals and objectives of all constituent groups. Works to create, monitor, and exceed key metrics and targets in support of key groups.
- Relationship Management: Trusted by staff, peers, and stakeholder groups; Balances concern for productivity and results with sensitivity for employees’ needs/problems; Approachable and friendly; Handles difficult situations constructively and tactfully.
Our company values are important to us. We’ve shared them with you as someone interested in joining our team.
INNOVATE ALWAYS. Seek out unique perspectives, diverse experiences, and disconnected dots. These are the seeds of big ideas and exceeded expectations, made even better through constant collaboration.
EMBRACE FAILURE. Learn from the inevitable failures that result from innovation, and move forward quickly with a pioneering spirit. Champion the doers, celebrate their contributions to the team, and don't shy away from difficult conversations.
DRIVE THE MISSION FORWARD. Everything we do is through the inclusive lens of helping all business owners launch and grow, regardless of who they are or where they come from. Hold yourself to the highest standards of quality and equality in everything you do.
EVERYONE TAKES OUT THE TRASH. No task is too small for the success of our company or our owners. Always be thoughtful and practice extreme kindness toward our team, partners, and owners.
SIMPLIFY AND COMMIT. Maintain a bias toward efficiency, acting quickly and testing often. Recognize the opportunity cost of every decision, commit to deadlines, be on time, and search for simple, smart solutions.
Hello Alice is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈