2 months ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Element 84 is a women-owned software development firm that builds ambitious web applications and cloud services engineered for high scalability. Our team works on supporting systems at the cutting edge of medical research, transportation, and geospatial–with clients like NASA, USGS, UNESCO, and Woods Hole Oceanographic.
The successful candidate will become an integral part of the Land Processes Distributed Active Archive Center (LP DAAC, https://lpdaac.usgs.gov), a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) funded project, located at the USGS EROS Center. The LP DAAC operates as a partnership between the USGS and NASA and is a component of NASA’s Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS). Data scientists, system engineers, user service representatives, and outreach staff work together to support LP DAAC activities and distribute data to the science user community. As a Data Scientist, one will utilize numerous Geographic Information System (GIS) software and scripting techniques while working directly with data providers evaluating science data, quality assurance and metadata of the data, finalizing algorithm and user guide documentation, authoring web content as well as participating in presentations and workshops regarding the data. If you have a related skillset/background and are interested in an exciting and challenging career in this field, we invite you to apply for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in remote sensing, geography, environmental science or equivalent.
- Master’s degree is preferred.
- 3 years of directly related professional experience.
- Participates in data evaluation activities as part of a multidisciplinary team which includes task leads, system development teams, communications and outreach, and user services
- Use GIS software and scripting techniques to analyze the specifications of new products and metadata, determine whether their results are expected and accurate
- Work closely with data providers and science teams, documenting the characteristics of new products and provide relevant information in associated Algorithm Theoretical Basis Documents (ATBDs), user guides, web content and publications
- Evaluate and communicate strategies for routine quality assessment of LP DAAC datasets and products
- Gain and expand product knowledge in conjunction with science teams so that user questions can be adequately addressed and answered
- Author web content and presentation materials for conferences and workshops as opportunities are available
- Prepares and presents project results and methodology to customers as requested.
- Maintains regular communication with staff, customers and managers
- Fundamental understanding of the characteristics and applications of instruments such as LIDAR, MODIS, VIIRS, ASTER and Hyperspectral
- Demonstrable knowledge of GIS techniques, remote sensing principles, and related science applications
- Experience in processing and analyzing imagery with GIS and remote sensing software packages, such as ArcGIS, ArcGIS Pro, ERDAS, ENVI and QGIS
- Interest in data quality assurance
- Familiarity with metadata standards
- Ability to communicate regularly, professionally, and clearly at general, technical and management levels to inform team members, science teams and the science user community
- Strong attention to organization, detail and record keeping
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including effective questioning, listening, and presentation skills
- Self-starter with an ability to multi-task
- Must have prior 3 year U.S. residency
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as Python and R
- Demonstrable proficiency with using GDAL for science data transformations and metadata validation
- US Citizenship
The candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a national agency check and background investigation after hire to obtain a badge for facility access and user accounts.
Paying attention to who we are -- as a company, as people, as family members, friends, and colleagues, is probably the biggest part of who we are. There are lots of ways to run a company and you have probably experienced more than your share. For us, it's wanting to come to work, being around people we enjoy, taking on big things with people you trust, and sharing our achievements as a team.
- You’ll get credit when things go right and we’ll have your back when things go wrong.
- We only take on work that is challenging and right for us. There are projects we will turn down and the team has a say.
- We may be a small company, but we have big company benefits meant to support the idea that we're here for the long term and that happiness comes from much more than just where you work, including 401k, health & dental insurance, life & disability insurance, flexible schedule, cell phone stipend, flexible spending accounts for transportation and dependent care and a generous PTO policy.
We have an extraordinary retention rate because we only hire extraordinary people. We hope that’s you.
Element 84 is an equal opportunity employer, with a company culture that values diversity. We embrace inclusivity and believe that diversity of thought, perspective, and experience helps us reach higher and think bigger. Element 84 is committed to hiring the best person for the team and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. If you are interested in joining us, we want to hear from you!
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈