London or remote (UTC -1 to UTC +3)
The companies that win today are those that put an understanding of their customers and prospects at the heart of their organisation; the investment in a central data team is an essential part of this journey. COVID-19 and the global switch-off of the in-person economy is accelerating these trends: interacting with and understanding your customers online is key to surviving and thriving in the new environment.
At Snowplow we are focused on powering the data journey that these central data teams are embarking on. To win in the new world, it’s essential that the data team can focus on the journey to value and mastery, and not get derailed by costly data delivery issues or burdensome organizational complexity. Snowplow helps data teams to do this, offering a data delivery platform that collects and operationalizes behavioral data, at scale.
It’s an exciting time here at Snowplow. We are actively selling in 14 countries with hundreds of customers and thousands of open-source users; Snowplow is well placed to weather the ongoing economic storm, having recently closed its Series A fundraising with MMC Ventures.
We are looking for our first dedicated Analytics Engineer (sometimes called a BI Engineer or Data Analyst) to join our Engineering team. The team you will be joining is focused on the technologies that our customers and open source community use to collect data (our trackers and webhook integrations) and prepare it for their various use cases (our SQL data models).
As our founding Analytics Engineer, you will be responsible for developing and productizing data models, focusing on scalability, performance and maintainability, and developing in-depth understanding of cloud data warehouses and common web and mobile analytics use cases. This is an area of growing focus at Snowplow; you will have the opportunity to work alongside our Product team on defining how our data modeling offering will evolve over time, both for our commercial product and open source.
This role would suit an experienced Analytics Engineer who is on a personal development path towards general software engineering; at Snowplow your work will be used in production by thousands of data teams worldwide.
What you’ll be doing.
- Developing and maintaining a suite of production SQL data models used by our customer base and the Open Source community. This includes partner packages for tools like Looker, dbt, etc.
- Building out our offering around data modeling. You won’t just work on the data models themselves, you’ll work closely with Product and the wider Engineering team to shape the way we collect data via our trackers to build better data models, and what data model tooling we provide as part of our commercial offering as well.
- Supporting our new Use Cases team on showcasing the possibilities with Snowplow data, such as powering personalisation and recommendation systems, or developing advanced models (marketing attribution, lifetime value, etc.).
- Being an active part in decision making on what we build to help our customers get more value out of Snowplow, and how we deliver it. You’ll bring a different perspective and we’ll want your input!
What we’re looking for..
- SQL is your thing. You have expertise in SQL, including manipulation of large data sets, performance tuning, etc.
- You’re familiar with cloud technologies. You have experience working with data in cloud data warehouses (Redshift, Snowflake or BigQuery).
- Experience with a modern BI tool (Looker, Tableau, etc.) or data modeling technology (dbt, Airflow, Dataform, etc.) would be a plus.
- You are not new to programming. You have some experience with scripting languages (such as Python or bash), CI/CD, and Git source control. Any experience with testing frameworks would be a plus.
- You document and communicate clearly. Some experience with technical content writing would be a plus.
- You are excited to work autonomously. You can drive toward a high-level goal and recognise when you need support or more direction.
- We can’t do everything today. You’ll be pragmatic and balance our speed of delivery with our commitment to providing a reliable and trusted service to customers.
- Our remote team depends on expert collaborators to work effectively. You’ll be a great communicator and enjoy working closely with the team.
What you’ll get in return.
- A competitive package, including share options
- 25 days of holiday a year (plus public holidays)
- Freedom to work from wherever suits you bestTwo fantastic company Away Weeks in a different European city each year (or when this isn’t possible, we have “Stay Away Weeks”)
- Employee Assistance Program with Health Assured which includes therapy sessions.
- Work alongside a supportive and talented team with the opportunity to work on cutting edge technology and challenging problems
- Grow and develop in a fast-moving, collaborative organisation
- MacBook or Dell laptopConvenient location in central London for those who want to work there
- Continuous supply of Pact coffee and healthy snacks in the office when you’re here!
Snowplow is dedicated to building and supporting a brilliant, diverse and hugely inclusive team. We don't discriminate against gender, race, religion or belief, disability, age, marital status or sexual orientation. Whatever your background may be, we welcome anyone with talent, drive and emotional intelligence.