Technical Operations Officer
1 week ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: Anywhere
Avaaz is a movement that brings together 55 million citizens from across the world, with a mission to help solve some of the world’s biggest problems. Its entire budget comes from small citizen donations, meaning Avaaz is independent and able to take on organisations such as Facebook, Monsanto and the Murdoch media which many other groups cannot.
Avaaz reaches tens of millions of citizens every week with opportunities to change the world. This includes protecting our planet from climate change and other threats, fighting to stop social media from undermining our democracies, and deepening human connection.
Our tech needs are growing, and we’re now looking for Technical Operations Officers to join our tight-knit group of outstanding professionals, working from home in 25 countries.
Some of the things we’ve been working on are...
- A system for citizens to report disinformation ahead of the EU and US elections
- Reporting on how YouTube’s recommendation algorithm promotes climate denial
- Granting money and support to grassroots climate organisations, human rights groups and indigenous groups around the world
- Providing our campaigns team with detailed statistics to measure campaign success
- Porting our existing technical architecture to more flexible, containerized services
The Technical Operations Officer is a technical generalist with strong IT support and system maintenance skills. This position will work with over 120 staff in over 35 countries to ensure reliable and secure systems that enable Avaaz to do it’s global campaigning. Duties include managing operational infrastructure, technical onboarding/offboarding, staff security support and optimizing internal systems for greater efficiency.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage operational infrastructure such as VPN setups, Google Suite accounts, and administration of various software licenses
- Technical onboarding and offboarding of staff by assisting in account setup, hardware inventories and general troubleshooting
- Provide IT support for issues with equipment, software, mobile devices, account access, etc.
- Individual security support and response plans, endpoint management of staff devices, encrypted email
- General technical support to staff
- Strong experience in an IT support/helpdesk role with end-user facing support.
- Intermediate to expert level experience using Macs.
- High attention to detail, organized, self-motivated.
- Ability to manage multiple work streams to excellence.
- Fluency in English is a requirement.
Avaaz is a fully virtual organisation, coordinating work using email, Skype and other tools. Our staff are based all over the world. Applicants from any timezone may apply. Avaaz will support you to set up a home or co-working environment that leads to excellence in delivery and long-term sustainability.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation varies with location and experience, but is highly competitive with leading nongovernmental organisations. Benefits also range with location, but include 5 weeks paid vacation per year (prorated as applicable).
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: Anywhere.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈