1 week ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Do you have concerns about climate change or energy affordability and wonder if there is a job out there that would allow you to have massive impact on these critical issues? Have you ever dreamed of working at a company that is filled with unusually passionate superstars and truly “walks-the-talk” around concepts like integrity, creating a true meritocracy, mutual respect, inclusion, and collaboration? If so, read on to see if Smart Wires might have the career opportunity that you have been dreaming about.
In 2019, one of our European projects won the prestigious “Grid Project of the Year” award. Awards like this one and our delighted customers have resulted in most grid experts acknowledging that our solution is the only reasonable way to run a modern grid. Our solution is truly a “game changer” for the power grid and the critically important transition to a renewable energy future.
There is a long line of renewable projects waiting for grid access on nearly every power grid in the world. Those closest to climate change understand that the grid itself is currently the biggest barrier to a clean energy future – not the cost of wind and solar farms, which are already a lower cost than power plants using fossil fuels. Smart Wires allows utilities to use the grid 20-40% more efficiently, by “pushing power” off of overloaded lines and “pulling power” onto under loaded transmission lines. You can think of Smart Wires as a revolutionary “router” for power on the grid, allowing far higher integration of renewable energy at a cost that is much lower than new power lines and other legacy solutions.
We just announced a $75M equity infusion from a premier set of investors. To give you an idea of the impact we can have, one of our customers in the UK just announced a single project that they are completing in 2020 that adds 1.5 gigawatts of renewable energy capacity to the grid. We work with most of the largest utilities in the world and have already shipped more product in 2020 than we shipped in the previous nine years. There is no doubt that Smart Wires is one of the fastest growing companies in the entire transmission industry, and it is our remarkable team of passionate superstars that create this remarkable momentum.
Smart Wires is looking for an attorney based in Union City, CA or remote who will work closely with our general counsel and other members of the Smart Wires leadership team by providing legal support and expertise. This position will grow as the company grows. It is an ideal role if you’re interested in building a generalist in-house practice and developing the skills to lead a legal team down the road. We’ll provide great training and support, and we expect you to be a self-starter who can take responsibility for areas/functions and grow into managing them independently. In other words, it’s great training for a future GC!
Some of the tasks you are likely to tackle in your first six months include:
- Review, draft, and negotiate a wide range of US & international commercial agreements including master service agreements, consulting agreements, NDAs, customer agreements, EPC agreements, and others.
- Take responsibility for corporate actions including drafting of board resolutions, managing diligence reviews, and equity management.
- Work closely with the People Team to advise on and implement employment policies and practices.
- Work with internal teams and expert counsel on the review, analysis, implementation and execution of potential corporate transactions.
- Manage local counsel on international transactions.
- Generate and manage project management systems for legal work streams.
- Develop processes to scale legal and legal/commercial operations for growth.
- Engage and negotiate with a wide range of external stakeholders.
- Form close working relationships with teams throughout the company and work with them spot and manage, and solve potential issues.
- Provide timely, practical and business-savvy legal advice to stakeholders throughout the company.
Minimum Skills or Experience Requirements
- Juris Doctorate degree, active bar membership in at least one U.S. jurisdiction, and ability to become qualified to practice in-house in California.
- 2-4 years of experience in corporate or transactional practice either at a top-tier law firm or in-house.
- Legal experience in energy, construction or manufacturing industries is a plus
You may be an ideal candidate if:
- You are an exceptionally strong communicator: you share updates/findings/advice in a clear, succinct, and organized manner (whether verbally or in writing) and appropriately tailor your communication to your audience.
- Your analytical and problem-solving skills are among your greatest strengths—we’ll regularly ask you to develop solutions to issues you (and the company) are seeing for the first time.
- You have excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and an ability to generate and manage systems—you’ll deploy these skills to help us to systematize the legal function as we grow.
- You have experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating transactional agreements and will be prepared to jump into using these skills both on types of agreements you’ve worked on before and, with our help, ones that are new to you.
- You can read a spreadsheet, build a deck, and analyze and communicate information into effective messaging for senior executives.
- You have great commercial judgment and take a practical approach to analyzing risks.
- You’re a collaborative teammate and intuitively understand when to take direction and when to apply your own judgment.
- You recognize what you know or can find out and have both the humility and confidence to acknowledge when to bring in another resource.
- You act like an owner and you take initiative by being proactive and resourceful.
- You’re curious, a quick study, and comfortable working in a growing company environment where you’ll work creatively to solve problems—not just follow an existing playbook.
- You’re motivated to make a positive, long-lasting impact on climate change.
- You both care about people and want to help save the planet—Smart Wires’ mission is motivating and inspiring to you.
Smart Wires (www.smartwires.com) has developed an innovative technology that meaningfully improves the efficiency of today’s power grid. Driven by a world-class leadership team, Smart Wires works with utilities globally to address the unique challenges of the rapidly evolving electric system. We deploy our revolutionary technologies to “re-route power” around overloaded lines and address the most serious problems challenging our transmission system. Our solutions are offer a superior value proposition to all other solutions that a utility will consider and represent a complete paradigm shift for utilities that are finding it very difficult to build new lines in a world with so much uncertainty around the future needs of the grid. These utilities are under immense pressure to “get more out of their existing grids”, which is why Smart Wires has accumulated a true “Who’s Who” list of customers and forced the entire industry to take notice of this revolutionary technology solution.
We are carefully engineering our culture to attract stunning performers who thrive in a “Freedom and Responsibility” culture. Borrowing heavily from the cultural breakthroughs offered by Netflix, this culture rejects tight management of detailed tasks, focusing instead on hiring great people capable of managing important missions with fairly limited direction and supervision. We give even those with limited work experience the resources they need and believe that certain “superstars” are hard-wired to deliver nothing but truly excellent results. This is an atmosphere of rapid professional development and incredible learning. Our goal is to place superstars in every role so that we rely and trust each other to do our jobs brilliantly, knowing that this strategy ensures a fun, exciting workplace and nearly guarantees continued commercial success.
If you have been reading closely, you wouldn’t expect a typical recruiting process. And, we’d hate to disappoint you. To begin our rather unique recruiting process, please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter which explains why you believe you would be the perfect fit for this job. Please note that your cover letter MUST specifically address each of the ideal qualifications described below. So, your first opportunity to impress us is...
- Measurable Successes – Academics is one place where people typically compete with others in a (mostly) objective and fair environment. For that reason, it is great to see candidates that excelled at some type of school. But if you don’t have that, share something else that demonstrates your commitment to success, ideally competing against a group of other really motivated cohorts.
- Organizational Skills – Provide some evidence of strong organizational skills and what gives you confidence that yours are top notch.
- It's So Hard To Say Goodbye – Tell us about a boss or coworker that nearly or actually cried when you left their team (either in a business or academic environment) and your best guess as to the key reasons that they were nearly in tears. What is it specifically about you that they are going to miss?
- And Gosh Darn It, People Like You – Relate something that gives us confidence that if we were on an elevator with you and the elevator malfunctioned between floors, that we wouldn’t hate being stuck there with you for more than three hours while the doors are being repaired by the elevator services team.
**Smart Wires is committed to diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Smart Wires complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of any skin color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.**
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈