Administrative Assistant to the VP of Movement Building
3 weeks ago
Job type: Part-time
Hiring from: USA Only
WEPOWER is building a team full of dreamers and doers. We partner with Black and Latinx communities to build power to re-design education, economic, justice, and health systems to be just and equitable for all. We build powerful relationships with community members and amplify their voices to inform critical decisions that impact their lives. We train community members to design new policies, organize, and lead policy and systems change. We provide early-stage companies with access to coaching, capital, connections, and community as they create jobs in the communities with whom we partner. We envision a future where we all have the power to lead, so every community prospers. We are building a powerful movement led by everyday people. Join us! Let's build something new and beautiful together.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Vice President of Movement Building (VPMB), the Administrative Assistant (AA) is a part-time employee (up to 20 hours per week). The AA will support the VPMB with managing her many day-to-day responsibilities, meetings, and projects. The AA must be a masterful project manager, very organized, professional communicator, creative and agile, and prepared to navigate the exciting yet ever-changing nature of the work the VPMB undertakes daily.
We Will Celebrate...
- Ensuring the VPMB's email inbox maintains the organization and no more than 25 unread and unorganized emails at any point in time.
- Successful management of the VPMB's calendar, ensuring time and preparation for critical internal and external meetings as well as time for strategy and reflection.
- Success data tracking and (social and political) information sharing to ensure VPMB's relationships and program impact are stored safely for analysis and awareness of key regional happenings drive strategy.
Lead effective internal and external communications and calendar management on behalf of the VPMB (approximately 6 hours per week)
- Receive, screen, and route emails, phone calls, mail, and correspondence for the VPMB.
- Provide a bridge for smooth communication between the VPMB and others by calling and emailing stakeholders directly on her behalf to schedule meetings, follow through on requests, and ensure effective coordination on key projects.
- Ensure that all stakeholders feel good about their interactions with you and the VPMB.
- Track correspondence with important relationships in the contact management system (EveryAction)
- Draft, type, and proofread emails, documents, presentations, and reports as requested, and coordinate with relevant teams and team members to respond to incoming requests and opportunities while maintaining confidentiality.
- Maintain and organize hard-copy and electronic files for the VPMB as requested.
- Schedule meetings, resolve conflicts, and prioritize commitments, ensuring time for critical internal and external meetings as well as time for strategy and reflection.
Support the VPMB with effective management of her various projects and responsibilities with sensitivity to deadlines and priorities (approximately 4 hours per week)
- Track VPMB commitments, goals, projects, tasks, and deadlines.
- Ensure items are effectively delegated, reprioritized, or addressed, navigating conflicting demands and time pressure.
- Attend select meetings, take notes, capture action items, and ensure follow-through.
- Handle select matters expeditiously and proactively; follow-through to successful completion.
- Anticipate and address problems.
- For key meetings, confirm that attendees will be present and complete preparatory work, such as agendas and committee reports.
- Arrange conference rooms, catering, presentation materials, and audio/visual set up as needed for meetings, and support travel logistics as needed.
Manage special projects that advance the sustainability and impact of the organization (approximately 6 hours per week)
- Data management
- Work with the Program Operations Fellow to support the VPMB with tracking, importing, and exporting key data for analysis and problem-solving with her team.
- Work with Program Operations Fellow to support the VPMB as she works with her program teams to continuously audit, clean up, and code data and contacts in the CRM.
- Regional political and social awareness building
- Continuously scan local and national news to surface relevant articles and information aligned to campaign policies.
- Continuously share priority news and information to help VPMB stay aware of the local political and social climate and how it impacts her program team's work.
Your Experiences Include...
- Been on the founding team of at least one startup
- Comprehensive project management
- Working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Managing and using technology and software to support organizational success
This can be best demonstrated through the development and mastery of the following competencies.
- A Proactive Problem Solver. You think proactively about what you and others will need to be successful, what problems might come up, and what actions you can take to mitigate those obstacles in advance. You think through what information you will need and what questions you have and you seek that information out as early as possible so you avoid being stuck. You think several steps ahead -- about how the information you collect will be used, what questions people you engage might have, etc. -- and adjust your action in the present based on those anticipated needs. You anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
- An Effective Communicator. Your communication, both internal and external, written and verbal, is clear and effective. You know how to listen to understand the context and share information in a way that is clear and useful to the recipient and is most likely to get the results you are seeking.
- Adaptable and Flexible. You respond positively to change, adapting your approach, goals, and methods to achieve solutions and results in dynamic situations. You recover quickly from setbacks and find alternative ways to reach goals or targets. You display openness to different or new ways of doing things and see multiple perspectives. (Source)
- A Champion of Racial & Cultural Identity Development. You are self-aware including consciousness of your social identities, cultures, biases, and perspectives. You are aware of your internalized superiority and/or internalized inferiorly. You also have knowledge and appreciation of the social identities, cultures, and worldviews of other people. You consider the larger socio-political and historical context of which we are part. You have a grasp of different forms of privilege and oppression and how they affect people's experiences, opportunities, and access to social power. You have the ability to adapt to and work collaboratively with diverse people in a range of situations. You understand that people's social identities affect their interpersonal, communication and work styles, as well as their views of conflict, notions of leadership, and sense of time (among many other things). You are also able to identify and address inequities and choose appropriate interventions to create environments, policies, and practices to ensure diversity, equity, justice, and fairness. (Source)
- Thorough. You ensure that one's own and others' work and information are complete and accurate; carefully preparing for meetings and presentations; following up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled. You set up procedures to ensure high quality of work. You monitor the quality of work and verify the information. You check the accuracy of your own and others' work. You develop and use systems to organize and keep track of information or work progress. You carefully prepare for meetings and presentations. You carefully review and check the accuracy of the information in work reports (e.g., production, sales, financial performance) that you create or provide by other management, management information systems, or other individuals and groups. (Source)
Fun. Fast. Focused. Values-driven. Community-centered. Collaborative. Innovative. Lots of brainstorming and imagining what's possible and then chasing each possibility until it is reality!
As a startup, being part of the team at WEPOWER requires extreme commitment and agility, AND we value each team member's personal life circumstances and priorities. We will work together to ensure the organization prioritizes the health, social-emotional wellbeing, and morale of each team member! Some evening and weekend work will be expected.
When sound public health guidance indicates it is reasonable again, there will be 24-hour access to a co-working space with printing, conference rooms, phone booths, snacks, drinks, and the opportunity to be in community with other innovators, entrepreneurs, and entrepreneur support organizations.
You will engage in limited travel with the exception of professional development experiences that align with your short-term and long-term development goals and areas of interest.
Fun. Fast. Focused. Values-driven. Community-centered. Collaborative. Innovative. Lots of brainstorming and imagining what's possible and then chasing each possibility until it is reality! There will be 24-hour access to a co-working space, conference rooms, snacks, drinks, and other innovators and entrepreneurs.
The hourly rate will be highly competitive with other organizations of similar stature and size. The hourly rate ranges from $15-$25 an hour depending on experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At WEPOWER, we don't just accept differences — we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our team, our programs, and our community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, political affiliation or belief, or genetic information.
This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈