Journal Manager - Health and Biomedical Sciences
2 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: UK Only
Category: All others
We are seeking driven and target-oriented professionals for 2 full-time positions of Journal Manager for new journals to be launched within our Health and Biomedical Program. This is an exciting opportunity for candidates who are passionate about science and have a strong publishing and/or project management experience and proven line management responsibility. Our office is located in London, however remote working options are available within the UK.
The successful candidates will be responsible for the post-launch management, strategic development and growth of their journals through content acquisition initiatives, as well as building and leveraging strong relationships with the Editorial Boards of leading academics. They will be responsible for pro-actively managing the journals’ performance and must show strong strategic direction to devise and implement editorial strategies to build strong recognition for their portfolio, while creating new opportunities to drive key performance indicators.
Under the guidance of a Portfolio Manager and working closely with members across multiple Editorial Teams, the Journal Manager role requires the ability to inspire across all levels, be a trusted advisor for internal and external stakeholders and creatively approach solutions to deliver strong growth from launch. The successful candidates will have excellent interpersonal skills and ideally work experience within academic publishing, which will enable them to effectively engage with high-profile scholars and be an effective team manager and interface with other departments.
- Manage 3 newly launched Health/Biomedical Science related journals from within our portfolio of forthcoming titles (including but not limited to: Frontiers in Health Services, Frontiers in Adolescent Medicine, Frontiers in Urology, Frontiers in Ophthalmology and Frontiers in Nuclear Medicine) and deliver ambitious targets and objectives.
- Drive journal growth and development through Editor engagement, article collections and section launches, informed by competitor and market analysis.
- Build strong relationships with high-profile scholars and pro-actively manage the Editorial Boards.
- Represent the company to external stakeholders and promote the portfolio at international conferences.
- Manage and lead Journal Specialists and supporting team members across multiple Editorial departments.
- Collaborate with internal departments to ensure efficiency and scalability of journal operations.
- Lead internal editorial projects and initiatives to bring further strategic value and growth opportunities for the company.
- Experience working in an academic publishing house, and/or strong equivalent project management experience;
- A degree or higher within Health or Biomedical Sciences is preferred, with a keen interest in dissemination of research;
- Management experience would be highly desirable;
- Initiative taking, dynamic and engaged personality;
- Flawless communication in written and spoken English;
- Aptitude for digesting large amounts of information, and reacting effectively to urgent situations;
- Ability to work independently, be highly organized and meet deadlines;
- Sound and mature judgment; decisive and tactful when working with multiple stakeholders;
- Technical proficiency, with hands-on skills using current software (particularly MS Excel)
- 25 days' vacation per year;
- Participation into Frontiers annual bonus scheme;
- Professional development opportunities;
- Remote working options available within the UK.
CV, cover letter and a strategic business plan demonstrating how a Journal Manager would ensure the strongest possible set-up of a journal at launch point, and its management beyond, for long-term growth and success.
When preparing the Business plan, please select one journal from the following list: Frontiers in Health Services, Frontiers in Adolescent Medicine, Frontiers in Urology, Frontiers in Ophthalmology or Frontiers in Nuclear Medicine.
Key points to include in the presentation:
1) Current position of the journal: market, key competitors, SWOT analysis
2) Future direction: up to the end of 2021, what growth do you plan to drive for the journal and what strategies will you implement to get there?
If selected for an interview, candidates will be asked to present their submitted business plan in 10 minutes.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 14/02/2021
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: UK Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈