We are the people behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, and WooCommerce, and more. Automattic is a place like no other: our fast-growing band of 1100+ works as a distributed team across more than 70 countries, to democratize publishing and make the web a better place so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We are seeking a talented wrangler of contracts, shares of stock, and the myriad details that we need to mind, in order to keep the Automattic legal machine humming along. This is a generalist role, ideal for someone with a keen eye for sensible, practical solutions and operational excellence. You’ll be an integral part of our team, managing projects across the full range of subject matter supported by the legal team.
As a legal operations wrangler, you will be part of a small legal team responsible for supporting all of Automattic’s growth. This a great role for a candidate looking to expand beyond what is on offer in a traditional legal ops or paralegal position at a more moribund company.
Some of your responsibilities will include: impeccably managing our cap table in Shareworks, helping to wrangle our flow of contracts, contributing to quarterly investor reporting and annual audits, maintaining our corporate compliance, and keeping our insurance coverages current. Everything at Automattic is done on a global scale and in an international context, and you will frequently be managing projects in non-US jurisdictions.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Have experience working in a lean, fast-growing, fast-paced software, internet, or creative startup, large private company or at an investment fund.
- Have exceptional interpersonal skills, including outstanding verbal and written skills in English.
- Possess an agile and curious mind. You’re not afraid to ask questions or admit when you are wrong.
- Have a healthy sense of humor, and an abiding spirit of idealism about your chosen profession.
- Are extremely detail-oriented, and are adept at spotting inconsistencies and ferreting out anomalies.
- Have a passion for elegant, simple, automated solutions that keep operations running smoothly, and an ability to see opportunities for process improvement and the initiative to move forward with action.
- Thrive in a tech-centered, developer-focused environment, and enjoy collaborating with engineers and understanding technical and product details.
- Love a dynamic, fast-growing environment.
- Prefer operating very independently, and are highly motivated to learn new things and improve your skills, and enjoy juggling an array of tasks.
- Are collaborative, and enjoy working with teams such as Engineering, Marketing, and Finance.
- Excel at understanding complex topics and explaining them to others in clear, concise terms.
Bonus points if you have experience working on a distributed team, WordPress, stock administration, software development, coding, or open source. We are not looking for an attorney for this position.
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ this domain telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject.
Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please tell us:
– A project that you are especially proud of, and why.
And since you’ll be a part of the legal team: please be sure to include at least one lawyer joke in your application.
← Work With Us