Remote elixir Jobs in February 2020
4 Remote elixir Jobs in February 2020Post a job
Theorem is a team of experts who set sound principles and best practices into action. Our team solves complex problems and builds amazing things for some of the largest global household names. We work with team members around the world and have offices in LA and New York. While this is a remote first role, initially, the position will require at least bi-monthly travel to the UK. Candidates closer to major travel airport hubs will be given priority. You must be authorized to work in the United States.
As Software Solutions Architect, you are a polyglot engineer with a hunger for learning new languages and tools. You see yourself as a maker and you are interested in all steps of the process, from understanding the challenge, to designing, developing and deploying.
As a consulting Software Solutions Architect, you are always happy to be learning, choosing the right tool for the job but also becoming the foremost domain expert about our client’s business. You should always be able to answer the question: What have I learned this week?
Responsibilities and Duties
In this role, you will participate in the full life cycle of application development for our clients with duties including but not limited to:
- Assist the sales team with uncovering and understanding technical requirements and producing estimates and risk assessments for new projects.
- Become the domain expert for our clients’ business and gain a deep knowledge of their infrastructure and internal systems.
- Research technologies and assess their fit for the challenge at hand.
- Educate and train clients and stakeholders about the benefits of our approach to software and solutions development.
- Assist the engineering team on product delivery by writing code and reviewing pull requests.
- Collaborate with the team to create a successful project hand-off plan
Qualifications and Skills
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering.
- Over 5+ years of experience directly consulting with clients.
- Eager to learn new languages and technologies.
- Strong experience designing and delivering features on both server and client sides of the development stack.
- Demonstrated experience researching new tools, acquiring new skills, and implementing your new knowledge on the fly with confidence and accuracy
- Experience with AWS, GCP, or Azure is nice to have.
- Experience working with Chef, Ansible, and other provisioning technologies is a plus.
- BS of Computer Science or similar academic background is a plus.
- Excellent skills in spoken and written English language.
- Possess a strong and reliable internet connection.
Do you love building products from a "behind the scenes" perspective? We're looking to expand our team with a full-time Backend Developer.As a backend developer, you'll have the ability to work on large-scale systems that impacts people's day-to-day work.Your job will be mainly focused on designing, implementing, and maintaining APIs. To us developing new features and debugging and fixing bugs are equally important, so every developer in our team participates in both types of jobs. You will work closely with frontend and Mac developers to guarantee maximum alignment for our products and smooth engineering processes.Our backend is mostly built on Elixir, although we have some bits in NodeJS and Go. Our Elixir API implements GraphQL and we use MariaDB as our primary data store. Our backend also integrates with other minor services like Redis or SQS.It's essential that you have broad experience developing with Elixir or other languages that may be considered similar to it like Ruby, Clojure, etc..We don't expect you to have experience with all the technologies in our stack, but you are, definitely, not afraid of them. You are an experienced software engineer, and you have been part of medium/large web development teams. You care much for the details regarding security, code quality, scalability, performance, and simplicity. Above all, you seek operational excellence and push to apply the best engineering practices possible. Not everything that you or your team do can be perfect, but, at least, you make sure that you always know the trade-offs.We back our decisions with arguments. You don't care for hype and always try to find the best solution and technology for the job and its context.We value every year of experience in your field, but experience isn't the be-all and end-all. The ideal candidate has the passion and knowledge to build high-quality software. We'd love for you to learn from us, just like we'd love to be able to learn from you.Our team works remotely and communicates mostly using text, so you need to have excellent communication skills and written English, be self-motivated, and comfortable working in a remote position.Essentials
- Passionate about the web, product design, and problem-solving.
- Able to work as part of a close-knit team. Together with your colleagues, you will code, review Pull Requests, deploy to production, etc.. Also, as part of a distributed team, you believe in maintaining detailed documentation.
- Ability to write and maintain high-quality and well-tested code.
- At minimum 4 hours of overlap with European/African timezones.
- Experience with building web APIs.
- We expect you to be able to start coding in Elixir since the beginning, so, at least, you must be already familiarized with the language, debugging tools, and good practices.
- Experience with SQL and ORMs. We expect from you to debug queries, suggest database optimizations and work with data migrations in the most optimum way.
- Knowledge of GraphQL. You understand, at least, its pros and cons depending on the context.
- Experience or history of working as part of a large remote team or organization.
- Experience in creating or contributing to open source projects.
- Experience, not only building Elixir services but also working with BEAM regarding error-debugging and optimizations proposals.
- Experience in working with Amazon Web Services.
Even if you're not able to tick all of these boxes, we would still love to hear from you.
- Experience integrating web applications with external payment systems.
Do you love building products from a "behind the scenes" perspective? We're looking to expand our team with a full-time, experienced Elixir Engineer.As a backend engineer at Sketch, you'll have the ability to work on large-scale systems that impacts people's day-to-day work. You will work closely with frontend and Mac developers and project managers to guarantee maximum alignment for our products and smooth engineering processes.Sketch's web platform involves different backend services, and the stack is a mix of serverless and self-managed services. Your main mission will be to contribute to the Elixir backend, using the best practices and techniques of the language in order to take full advantage of Elixir and Erlang/OTP scalability and resiliency properties. This backend is built with the web framework Phoenix and implements a GraphQL API with Absinthe. The application data is persisted with a SQL database.You will also help other junior Elixir developers to improve their technical skills through code reviews, peer-programming sessions, and other coaching practices.Sketch is a 100% remote company, and your colleagues will be distributed around the globe. Being remote adds great flexibility to everyone's life and helps us, as a company, to have a more diverse team. Our team works remotely and communicates mostly using text. You need to have excellent communication skills and written English, be self-motivated, and comfortable working in a remote position.You are a seasoned Software Engineer, passionate about the web, product design, and problem-solving. You have worked with different languages, and you understand well the advantages and trade-offs of different technologies for different needs. You have broad experience in building and maintaining large web applications. You know how to organize Elixir/Phoenix code for excellent maintainability and high development speed.You have been working full-time with Elixir for more than four years and with Phoenix (also full-time) for more than two years. You don't just scratch the surface of Elixir. You master Erlang/BEAM/OTP debugging, and other types of low-level tasks. You understand well the implementation peculiarities of GraphQL, and its challenges regarding authorization, database performance, and caching.You can work as part of a close-knit team. You have been part of medium/large web development teams. You seek knowledge sharing within your team. Together with your colleagues, you will code, review Pull Requests, deploy to production, etc.. Also, as part of a distributed team, you believe in maintaining detailed documentation.You are a pragmatist and understand technology as the medium to build products. You understand the right balance between code readability, simplicity, development speed, and maintainability. Above all, you seek operational excellence and push to apply the best engineering practices possible. At Sketch, we back our decisions with arguments.You will work very closely with the rest of the backend team. Most of your working hours must overlap with the rest of the backend team. This team is, mostly based on European/African timezones. So, probably, more than 5 or 6 hours of difference will be a problem.Even if you're not able to tick all of these boxes, we would still love to hear from you.