The best remote jobs, hand-picked daily.Post a job for $299
Bitfinex is on a mission to create the most innovative and industry-leading cryptocurrency trading platform.
Our team is built from many enthusiastic individuals who each hold an ownership mentality. That means that no one is waiting to be told what to do. Each member is a self-starter who is highly motivated. To put it another way, when we’re not working, we dream about work. While each member is motivated and self-starting, we are also a group who will not put our individual egos before the best interests of the team.
Our team is globally distributed, so clear communication is critical. We are in constant contact as we hustle to develop, support, and deliver the best platform possible for our users. Our goal is to find more hard-working, skilled people who will be excited to join us on this journey.
If you get excited about being in an industry that is breaking new ground and have a disposition of confidence towards challenging technical feats, we want to talk to you.
- Work towards improving test automation framework and maintaining scalable data sets
- Develop and contribute to long-term technical solutions and strategies of the engineering department
- Assisting with delivering high-quality code to a huge client base
- Identifying and recording bugs, verifying fixes
- Leverage monitoring and reporting tools to provide quality metrics
- Assisting development team by reproducing issues
What we need
We’re currently looking for a Senior Back-end Developer to join our team. The position is remote and available to anyone self-driven, and with the experience, motivation and capacity to contribute to our vision.
Self-motivation is essential for all our team members. No one on the team will micro-manage you. We are looking for team members who are comfortable using their initiative and seeing it through to completion. You will be part of a dynamic, fast paced team, and have the chance to shape the direction of Bitfinex as we grow.
- Knowledge and experience with microservices architecture
- Experience with blockchain integration
- Comfortable with high-availability concepts
- Have actively participated in the development of a sophisticated platform as one of the leading developers
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies
- Expert level C++
- Other technologies of interest: Message queues (ZeroMQ, RabbitMQ), Job Queues
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating simple, yet scalable experiences for our customers.
As a Senior Software Engineer within Developer Experience you will think about how to present complex developer workflows and deployment processes as simple, elegant, and configurable solutions for our customers. Working alongside of Product and Design teams, and reporting to an Engineering Manager, you will decide how to build software that gets the most out of our products and services, and helps developers deploy, manage, and scale apps on DigitalOcean. You will also work within the broader engineering organization to improve efficiency and performance of internal systems, so that we can support our growing customer base.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Developing software written primarily in Go, and sometimes Ruby.
- Working with containerized applications in Docker, and deploying within a CI/CD environment like GoCD and Concourse.
- Creating and processing large amounts of data stored in, or streamed through, MySQL, Redis, and Kafka.
- Using tools like Kibana and Grafana to monitor, alert and troubleshoot internal production performance issues.
- Consuming and integrating with 3rd party APIs (DigitalOcean public APIs, Kubernetes, logging and analytics services, etc).
- Actively participating in the product development process, quickly understanding how our services contribute to customer value, and gradually forming opinions on how to make those services better with minimal technical supervision.
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Experience working in a role where you had to balance solving software performance and scaling challenges with creating customer value.
- Willingness to understand the architecture of multiple systems, and being able to make updates to them independently.
- Have the ability to lead projects from start to finish, working cross functionally to gather requirements, plan work, and helping to steer development until launch.
- Experience with consuming and processing messages from Kafka or similar service.
- Proficiency with writing efficient queries in MySQL.
- Experience building APIs for external consumption.
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker, and CI/CD pipelines like GoCD or Concourse a plus.
- An understanding of microservice architecture and inter-service communication with protocols like gRPC and Protocol Buffers a plus.
- A strong appreciation for rich UI experiences, and particularly the flexibility to adapt APIs and backend services to accommodate such experiences.
- A passion for creating developer tools and meaningful developer workflows.
- This role will be expected to participate in an on-call rotation
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We’re looking for talented individuals interested in joining a new and growing global company. At Slang, you’ll be an early team member of a well-funded startup spun out from MIT. We’re building a world-class team to revolutionize language learning with cutting-edge technology and beautiful design.
What we’re working on at Slang
Slang started at MIT as a research project on using AI and NLP to make learning a new language as efficient as possible. Our technology powers a highly adaptive e-learning platform that offers an unprecedented variety of specialized English courses and proficiency tests for career development in over fifty fields like Sales, Finance, Logistics, Medicine, and Law. With just a small team, we’ve already created the largest professional English offering in the world. Now, we’re scaling up to release 1,000 more courses over the next three years.
Learn more about our unique approach at slangapp.com. We’d love to field any questions you have about our product and vision!
What this role is about
In this role, you’ll be involved in both product development and company strategy and execution — you’ll own the research, design, and development of the back ends of new features and you’ll help us refine our product roadmap. We have tens of thousands of active users and many subproblems in language learning to tackle.
Our codebase is built with best practices in mind and our product is designed with proper user and developer experience at the forefront of development. The work we’re facing encompasses interesting infrastructural hurdles and data-heavy modeling and algorithmic tasks.
Some of our technology comes from the open-source community, so be prepared to contribute back!
Some interesting problems we’re tackling
How can we determine what parts of a language a user already knows from a small sample of test exercises? How should we decide which parts of a language a user should learn next?
How should we architect our database to support the growing number of activities our users submit every week (currently at more than a million per week)?
How can we aggregate and communicate the learning statistics of a company’s employees for display to their managers?
How can we analyze and leverage the massive amount of learner and content data we have to improve our learners’ experience?
Skills and technologies
Two or more years of experience in modern back-end web development, including…
… Experience with modern web API stacks and related technologies, with a preference for Ruby on Rails experience.
… Experience with database technologies, data structures, and related optimization. We currently deal with large amounts of data in PostgreSQL and Redis.
A strong desire to maintain a clean, reliable, maintainable, and efficient codebase.
Excellent discipline and focus, especially in autonomous environments, and strong English communication skills. We’re a small team and we’re moving quick!
A plus: interest or experience with computational linguistics, natural-language processing (NLP), language-learning, speech recognition, data science, or machine learning.
What Slang can offer you
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, company equity, and unique benefits.
Most importantly, we offer the special experience of being part of a fast-moving and quickly growing international company within the entrepreneurial ecosystems of Boston and MIT.
For more information about Slang and our ecosystem, check out our El Tiempo interview from our beta launch; the portfolio of Social Capital, our lead investor and investor in companies like Slack and Intercom; our Crunchbase profile; and the profiles of our founders, Diego Villegas and Kamran Khan.
Where we’re located
Our team is currently split between Boston and Bogotá, and we are recruiting great people in these locations and around the world who are able to work remotely. This role provides an opportunity to travel to our current offices in Boston and Bogotá and the new offices we’ll be opening this year!
Our US headquarters is located in the Cambridge Innovation Center in the heart of downtown Boston, easily accessible by public transportation and alongside other innovative companies. Our Colombia office is located in the Rosales neighborhood of Bogotá.
We'd love to hear from you — apply below!
Slang is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are excited about creating an inclusive and healthy environment for all employees.
BetterUp is a mobile-based coaching platform that brings personalized professional coaching to employees at all levels. We help managers lead better, teams perform better, and employees thrive personally and inspire professionally. Our mission is to help professionals everywhere pursue their lives with greater clarity, purpose, and passion. Our product was developed by a team of leading behavioral scientists, researchers, and technologists. Were already transforming the way companies approach talent development at high-performing organizations like LinkedIn, Salesforce, Visa, Deloitte, and Logitech.
This is a remote role, anywhere in the US!
Your responsibilities will include
Product Engineer - Collaborate with designers and stakeholders to craft consumer grade experiences with SPA frontend (Ember) and RESTful backend (Ruby on Rails).
Lean and Agile Owner - Collaborate with cross functional teams to distill and synthesize requirements into discreet and meaningful iterations that can be implemented quickly to facilitate tight feedback loops and learning via data and metrics. Leverage Lean Startup and Agile methodologies along with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment infrastructure to rapidly prototype and validate ideas.
Data Spelunker - Answer business questions and influence product roadmap decisions using statistical analysis, ad-hoc reporting, or machine learning algorithms for offline modeling. Enable team members to answer questions with data systems and processes that leverage quantitative and qualitative inputs.
Operational Maintainer - Build scalable and tolerant systems using container technologies (Docker) and cloud infrastructure (AWS) as well as internal tooling to accelerate product development cycles.
You will be successful if you
Act as an owner - It’s not done until it’s in production. Adept at moving projects forward and able to unblock projects regardless of role on the project.
Do less, deliver more - Familiar with the terms YAGNI and yak shaving? Focus your efforts on high impact initiatives that really move the needle.
Impress yourself - We hold ourselves to a quality above and beyond something that “just gets it done”. Each line of code is an opportunity to blend craftsmanship with playfulness.
Collaborate without ego - Willing to take on roles small or large in order to further the mission at hand.
Stay on your edge - Continuously learning and applying emerging technologies. Pushing yourself and your team to new heights.
And if you have
5+ years relevant experience, at least part of which in a startup environment
Alignment with BetterUp mission and enabling behavior change
Succeeded in a remote work environment
Frontline maintainer of "production" consumer application (volume, support, debugging)
Strong experience with automated testing patterns
Ruby on Rails, Ember.js, Gitflow, Docker
Experienced in Agile product development processes (SCRUM, Kanban, Lean Startup, etc)
Expert in current web technologies (HTTP, REST, Web Sockets, etc)
Strong verbal and written communication
We provide amazing benefits, but if you ask the team, they’ll tell you that the greatest benefit we offer employees is an incredibly meaningful mission and transformative work.
Full coverage medical, dental and vision insurance
Unlimited use, at your own discretion, vacation policy
14 paid annual holidays
5 BetterUp Inner Work days (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
5 “Volunteer Days” to give back
Professional development through BetterUp coaching for you and a significant other
401(k) self contribution
A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
Remind is a communication platform that helps educators reach students and parents where they are: their phones. With 31 million active users, we’re one of the fastest-growing companies in education technology, but we have our sights set on something bigger: giving every student the opportunity to succeed.
The Remind Engineering Team works together to solve fun technical challenges, embodies our value of finding a way, and open-sources projects like Empire and stacker. The main tools we use in our backend include Typescript, Go, Ruby, Twirp, GraphQL, RabbitMQ, and many AWS services (Aurora, Lambda, DynamoDB, etc).
Our investors include First Round Capital, GSV, Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers, and Social Capital, and we want you to join us.
Remote work ok within +/-3 hours of Pacific Time.
Some of the projects that fullstack engineers at Remind have worked on this year:
- Moved a significant amount of traffic to a GraphQL proxy to make it easy to write consistent and performant client code across web, iOS and android.
- Improved and scaled a messaging system that's sent over 10 billion messages to teachers, parents, and students
- Built a graph service to power the relationships of 31 million monthly active users
- Built out standardized tooling for increasing the fault tolerance of our distributed services, including tiered load shedding, circuit breakers, and back pressure mechanisms
- Created a declarative permissions system to make authorization code easy to read and write
- Increased the stability of our chats database by introducing a write-through buffer using Redis
What will be critical to your success as a fullstack engineer at Remind:
- Others enjoy working with you because of your positive attitude and technical competence
- You have shipped multiple production systems as part of a team
- You enjoy tackling interesting, complex problems and seeing them through to DONE
- You collaborate effectively with engineers, product managers, and designers to break down product requirements and maintain visibility on projects
- You write clean, scalable code and have significant experience with one or more programming languages
- You have built scalable, performant, highly available services and understand the value of a good SLA
- You understand the importance of writing pragmatic, comprehensive unit and integration tests
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% health coverage for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy
- Parental leave
- Catered meals and fully stocked kitchen
- Parking and commuter benefits
Remind is an equal opportunity employer, and we're committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We aim to represent the students, teachers, and parents we serve, and we welcome, support, and empower all the diverse individuals in our community.
- Are self-disciplined and have a great work ethic
- Have good time management skills
- Communicate well
- Can work until at least 1pm EST M - F
- Like having a consistent daily work schedule
- Have at least three years of experience building SaaS interfaces
- Highly skilled with HTML / CSS
- Ruby on Rails
- Postgres or MySQL
- Unit tests (rspec, etc.)
- Background workers
- Writing design docs
- Working from design docs/specifications & wireframes
- React & Redux
- Service workers architecture
Howdy 👋We’re the folks at Jilt, an email marketing platform built for eCommerce. We help thousands of stores grow sales with emails that delight their customers. Our team is 100% remote, with 21 people distributed all over the world.
We’re looking for a driven, detail-oriented senior engineer to join our team and build fast, scalable backend systems in Rails.
You should be...
- Deeply experienced with Ruby & Rails
- Adept at translating user stories into detailed engineering implementation tasks
- Detail-oriented & curious, with a drive to understand and solve technical challenges
- A self-starter, comfortable working independently and taking a high level of responsibility
- Dedicated to constant learning and sharing your knowledge
Bonus points if you also have…
- Elasticsearch experience
- Experience with eCommerce platforms like Shopify or WooCommerce, especially integrating with their APIs
You’ll be responsible for…
- Building features, tweaks, bug fixes, and refactors based on specs in Clubhouse stories (derived from both customer feedback and our product/support teams)
- Adhering to internal code standards and best practices while suggesting new ones for team consideration
- Carefully user-testing your own work and implementing feedback from code review
- Providing detailed code reviews to your teammates
- Updating our internal wiki & documentation
- Assisting our support team with troubleshooting challenging issues
Why you’ll love working with us…
- Kind, wonderful teammates that enjoy their work as much as you do
- Competitive salary
- Annual company retreats (read about our last adventure in Lake Tahoe!)
- Fantastic benefits: 27 days paid time-off, full health insurance (medical, dental, and vision), retirement contributions, paid parental leave, and more!
- Transparent culture (check out our team wiki)
Curious to hear more? Learn more about the position and apply here. Applications accepted through May 28th. We can’t wait to meet you!
We support workplace diversity and do not discriminate on any protected class. We believe when we work together as a team of different views, experiences, and ideas, we can build amazing things.
About the Team
We believe in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We’re looking for engineers who share this view and are excited about writing quality code, trying new technologies, and playing well with others. This team works on challenging and exciting features including recommendations, search, payments and the mobile app API, so we use a wide variety of technologies including Ruby on Rails, Scala, Go, ElasticSearch, Spark/Hadoop, MySQL, Cassandra and Redis. Some of our recent projects include:
Building the world's best recommendation engine for books (machine learning in Spark, runtime in Ruby). We utilize large amounts of data that allows us to correlate our huge library to each individual user, offering a very personalized experience maximizing user engagement and exploration.
Scaling backend search infrastructure (using technologies like Elasticsearch, HDFS, Spark, Hive, and Go) to achieve a low latency and high availability search service for our website and our apps.
Improving search quality by implementing and tuning multiple ranking algorithms, indexing schemes, and better search suggestions.
Building well designed and fast API endpoints for our mobile apps (in Ruby and Go).
Implementation of an in-house payment and subscription system that increases transaction success rates by using a large number of optimizations based on data observations and thorough analysis.
Internal tools that glue together all of our infrastructure and coordinate the moving parts (analytics, anomaly detection, a/b testing platform, task pipelines, image server and many more).
We’re looking for strong engineers with exceptional problem solving skills who want to work independently and own large, complicated projects. You’re comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces. You have exquisite attention to detail. You’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems. Collaboration, time management, and communication are as important as your technical skills.
We’re looking for:
•Strong background or interest in building successful products in the context of a web application
•Experience shipping clean code that works
•Background in algorithms with a focus on applied problem solving
•Bachelor's or higher in mathematics, computer science, physics, or equivalent experience
•Strong SQL skills and the ability to analyze large and complex datasets
CloudApp (https://www.getcloudapp.com/) is a customer experience led company focused on improving business workflows with our video messaging productivity apps. It's free apps help businesses communicate faster and get more done.
Now, we’re looking for a remote Full-Stack Developer to join our growing team. In this role, you’ll be working with our engineering team in all aspects of our CloudApp solution, from its front-end down to the infrastructure.
Strong Ruby, Node, JS, and/or Python experience
Testing and scaling up APIs
Modifying a large ruby on rails project
Designing and implementing ancillary microservice API endpoints
Going into older code bases to update and tweak new features
Strong dev-ops skills, comfortably hopping into AWS server to debug and tweak settings if needed
Full stack engineering experience, with strong system fundamentals
Experience with service-oriented architecture
Exposure to architectural patterns of large, high-scale web applications
Strong industry experience in architecture and development of scalable production quality backend systems
Good understanding of distributed systems, data stores, data modeling, indexing and associated trade-offs
Experience developing APIs and SDKs a plus
Ability to work in a cross-functional team that touches many parts of the core systems at CloudApp
Work at all levels of the stack, (AWS, ruby, Node.JS, SQL, React, HTML, CSS), to build and maintain new CloudApp features
Take full ownership and responsibility for building, shipping, and maintaining core CloudApp features, end to end
Design and architect complex, reusable, and maintainable new systems, real-time interfaces, and visualizations, focusing not only on performance and scalability, but also on crafting a beautiful user experience
Build user interfaces that are crisp, consistent, and fast, that thrive under heavy customization and varying use cases, that encourage exploration, and that earn the trust of our customers through predictable, reliable, and thoughtful interactions
5+ years of professional ruby engineering experience
Ability to work from a permanent location (e.g. your home), and easily overlap with PST
Experience architecting, deploying and operating asynchronous distributed work queues, high-volume storage systems, and high-throughput systems
Daylytes is building a company that brings people together through sports. We believe sports coverage lags behind the rest of the social and mobile apps we use, and we plan to build a solution. We aim to bring our customers relevant, unique, and engaging daily highlights (daylytes) that surpasses current sports media options. We’re starting methodically by delivering a superior product in a few local niches, then will expand outward to cover an increasing number of cities and regions with a scalable solution.
We are developer-centric, led by a technical founder with startup experience, venture backed, and aim to provide our developers with a distraction free environment where they can solve scalable problems, thrive, and grow. You will be one of the first five to join the company, and will get to play a critical role in the direction of the business. You will help define the platform, have responsibilities that are not redundant, and be held accountable by our small team of less than five
- Development of web-app and backend that will serve the Daylytes mobile apps (our stack is Rails, with React Native on mobile, and PostgreSQL db's.)
- Managing data gathering scripts, scrapers, and data cleansing programs used in our content aggregation and tagging.
- Administration of a database of sports content and metadata that will be used by web and mobile front ends.
- Working directly with mobile developers and being involved in technical decisions that will impact our core mobile app.
- Experience with web development
- Experience with database-driven applications and creating an API (we use PostgreSQL, with some legacy MySQL databases in use)
Nice to Have's
- History working in a small startup environment
- Prior work creating a consumer app and maintaining it in the App Store
- Any portfolio of work that you can share, public repos, open-source contributions, etc.
- A bachelors or graduate degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent
- More than 3 years experience
While this is a remote position, there are often meetings at 9 a.m. ET. Something to take into consideration. Mountain Time, Central Time, or Eastern Time preferred.
- Experience working and collaborating with teams
- Experience in Linux and command line a must
- Work with React
- Experience with Functional programming is highly desirable
- You know how to architect all components of a frontend project
- You have experience reading API documentation and working with different endpoints to compose the desired effect
- You know how to run projects through solid processes (things like code reviews, reviewing stories, planning)
- Picks up new technologies quickly and efficiently
- Uses Git effectively
- Know how to create tests and why it's important
- Knowledge of OOP and software design principles
- Driven, ambitious, and interested in tech
- Acumen. You must be able to think of and judge multiple solutions for a problem and be able to reason between them.
- You’re aware of how to build secure apps
- You know how to optimize frontend load times, debug rendering issues, and overall provide a smooth experience to the user.
- Knowledge of responsive frontends
- You know C#, Ruby, Python or Go. IMPORTANT. You don't have to be an expert in backend tech, but you'll need to understand how to integrate with the backend guys.
- You’ve practiced continuous integration
- You've tinkered with Docker
- Require JS/Webpack/Browserify is a bonus, too.
- You’re interested in startups
- Great mentorship and company culture
- Remote work
- Challenging work and interesting projects
- Healthcare benefits package
- Fun office space in Wynwood (Miami - if you so choose