Find a remote job in Software DevPost a job for $299
Are you passionate about transforming government? Would you like to build free and open source tools that enable teams to more easily build and operate secure and compliant services for agency deployment?
CivicActions is seeking a creative and enthusiastic Security/Compliance Engineer to join our growing (security minded) SRE and DevSecOps team. We are a service and user-oriented group, focused on engineering robust software delivery infrastructure, automation, processes, and teams. The things we build will play an integral role in developing and supporting digital services for federal and state government agencies to help them serve the public better.
CivicActions is a dedicated, fun-loving team, looking for some talented folks to help us bring revolutionary digital services to government agencies and the people they serve.
- Gather evidence, artifacts and applicable controls to produce a System Security Plan (SSP) and/or other compliance docs as needed by our client agencies
- Direct the automation of system compliance and authorization for client services (to make your job easier!)
- Train developers, operations and clients in the use and benefits of automated compliance
- Help define and validate a more complete CI/CD pipeline with security baked in
- Write great code and documentation
- Shape systems and outcomes related to our development process and product experience
- Excellent technical writing and communication skills
- Experience managing compliance for GNU/Linux and cloud environments
- Understanding of security principles such as server hardening and least privilege
- Continuous monitoring concepts and alerts management
- Security certification is a plus (e.g., Security+, CCSP, CISSP, ...)
- Willingness and ability to work remotely (e.g., fast and stable net connection, ...)
- Experience with pentesting/scanning tools (e.g., CodeClimate, OpenSCAP, ZAP…)
Sound good so far? Great, keep reading!
CivicActions is a mission-minded company focused on transforming government through modern software practices. We are looking for others like us with a true passion for using technology to make a positive change in our world. We work in cross-functional, agile teams where communication is open and honest. We encourage and support a balanced lifestyle for each of our team members.
Our team is almost entirely distributed (remote) across the US and Canada. For this position, you can normally work from home or find a great co-working space, although occasional on-site visits and working sessions with clients in Sacramento will be necessary. You will need a computer, webcam, strong internet connection and the ability to keep a Monday to Friday schedule because we are a truly collaborative team. Ideally, your timezone will be within the continental United States.
U.S. citizenship is required for this position as will be a security clearance once you join. Occasional travel to client work sites will also be required.
Hello. We are ShipHero. We have built a software platform entrusted by hundreds of ecommerce companies, large and small to run their operations. Many of our customers sell on Shopify and/or Amazon. Were driven to help our customers grow their businesses, by providing a platform that solves complex problems, and is engineered to be reliable and fast. We strive to build great technology, that is beautiful and easy to use. Our culture also reflects our ethos and belief that by bringing empathetic, talented and great people together - you can do great things. Our team is remote, with most of our engineers currently either in New York or Argentina. We do daily stand-ups via Google Hangouts and communicate regularly using video chat and Slack. We are seeking a semi-senior software engineer with proven programming and analytic abilities. You would be a fundamental member of the team focusing on building a solid foundation for the platform. We seek people who are excited and driven to continue growing with the experience of working with talented engineers, and help others improve. We are obsessed with disrupting an industry that desperately needs it, by continuing to build tools that help make our customers do great things. You will work on our many integrations with ecommerce platforms such as Shopify, Amazon, eBay and Etsy. The integrations are used at scale. We are hiring engineers in American timezones only for now. About You
- You understand that great things are accomplished when teams work together.
- Youve got lots of experience with PHP and web applications
- You have some AWS experience or equivalent
- You can code review other team members work and provide assistance and appreciate feedback.
- You take pride in your craft.
- Youve learned from building systems and solutions the reasons to avoid technical debt, and how to approach and implement TDD and CI practices.
- Youve made a lot of mistakes, and most importantly, have learned from them.
- 4+ years of experience writing software
- Work on a cross-functional team including front end and UX to build solutions that are easy for customers to understand, work consistently and scale well.
- Maintain and balance our mission-critical PHP application, with the eventual goal of replacing it with our newer Python-based codebase.
- Review features and requirements and guide, design and implement solutions.
- Understand business requirements and think through solutions in terms of not just the coding implementation but also how the solution fits into the solution and how it solves a customer need.
- Ability to estimate effort and ship on agreed schedule. Comfortable pushing yourself and your team members when challenges pop up.
- Lead regular code reviews, with the goal of code quality, good design and approach along with pushing engineers to improve and evolve.
- Optimize existing tech stack and solutions, determine path to next step in the evolution.
- Learn, and push those around you to do the same - this is a craft that youre constantly improving upon.
- Implement solutions that are pragmatic to get the platform built.
- Have the confidence to work with experienced and talented people to just build great things, youre not a rockstar.
- Work with ShipHero leadership to implement practices and principles for the team.
- $2.500 so you can buy any equipment you need to be happy at your job
- 20 days paid vacation + new year & christmas
- Conference days don't count against your vacation days, we want you to stay up-to-date
- We will pay for courses & conferences, if you learn we all learn
What You Will Do
You will be a member of a six-person Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team responsible for maintaining and evolving the operational infrastructure for the Let’s Encrypt certificate authority. You will work closely with our application software developers and management to plan and implement the future of the certificate authority, its software applications, and its policies and procedures.
We provide secure and reliable service to more than 150 million websites around the world. We expect this number to grow rapidly. As such it’s a unique opportunity to have an enormous impact on creating a more secure and privacy-respecting Web.
In some organizations, the people responsible for deploying applications are left out of the full application development lifecycle. They are simply handed something at the end and told “make this run reliably, securely, and efficiently” while the infrastructure management role is devalued or taken for granted. That is not how we do things at Let’s Encrypt. SRE is part of the application development lifecycle from start to finish and we heavily invest in enabling and building infrastructure that is reliable, secure, and efficient. SRE is given latitude, time, and resources to do things The Right Way.
Automation is central to everything you and your team will build and maintain. You will automate operations extensively for the sake of security, scalability, correctness, compliance, and financial efficiency. You will make sure that when something does need to be done manually, it can be done in a safe and efficient manner. Our focus on automation means we are particularly interested in candidates with software engineering skills.
Our physical infrastructure includes servers, storage, switches, firewalls, and HSMs deployed across two highly secure data centers. While the majority of our infrastructure runs on our own hardware, we do use external cloud and CDN providers for some peripheral systems.
We use open source software (e.g. Linux, Prometheus, Grafana, SaltStack) extensively and prefer it when it can get the job done. The core CA application software that your team will be responsible for deploying is open source and written by our software development team.
Effective engineers know how to properly prioritize and communicate well. We will be looking for those skills in candidates.
- Two years professional experience as a software developer
- An understanding of why writing tests for software is critical
- A willingness to travel approximately three times per year
- A willingness to be on-call (time split between six people)
- Personal organization ability so that people can depend on you (e.g. task lists, calendar management)
Skills You Will Need to Develop
We write most of our code in Go and Python. You don’t need to know these languages coming in but you will need to learn them.
You will need to develop systems and network administration skills if you haven’t already. This means, for example, learning to manage firewalls and routers, work with automation tools like SaltStack, and manage virtual machines on both physical and cloud infrastructure.
You will need to gain domain-specific knowledge (e.g. PKI) but you don’t need to know it coming in.
Location and Benefits
This is a remote position available anywhere in the United States or Canada.
Benefits include excellent health insurance, a 100% match for 401k contributions, and flexible time off and parental leave policies.
Loop Media Group is building the world’s most advanced mobile offers platform. We deliver real-time offers directly to the mobile phones of an app’s audience, enabling local business to attract new customers, develop meaningful relationships, and obtain immediate in-depth data on their existing consumer preference. We are looking for a highly motivated, collaborative Software Developer to work with our Core Platform & API team. You’ll work with our amazing engineering team to extend and support our core micro-service platform architecture. At GetintheLoop, you’ll get plenty of opportunities to grow, you’ll collaborate daily with other amazing Engineers, and you’ll play an active role in shaping our product and the future of our company.
• Extend our core technology platform using the latest AWS/Serverless microservice cloud technologies
• Help build & test integrations with our Client SDKs and core consumer apps
• Automate testing and deployments to ensure correct functionality and performance at scale
• Ensure that the live operations of the platform has appropriate monitoring & alerting that allow issues to be identifed and addressed quickly and effectively
• Work with latest cloud-based infrastructure tools and concepts to deliver everything above
• Participate in product and feature planning to constructively solve problems quickly and communicate the results to the rest of the company
• Report on progress and release schedules to the Technical Director, API & Platform
Required Skills and Experience
• Excellent communication skills and a sense of humor
• A degree in of Computer Science or related field, with 2-4 years of practical software development experience
• A solid understanding of REST principles and how they apply to network services and applications
• Experience with the basics of OO software design, Test Driven Development (TDD), and development for Linux-based systems
• A passion for programming, a proactive attitude, and an ability to work independently
• Specific experience with any parts of our tech stack are a major plus. This includes AWS (in particular Lambda , S3, DynamoDB, RDS, Kinesis, etc.), PostgreSQL & PostGIS, Node.js, Docker, Git
• Startup experience and a public Github account are also both pluses
At Numbrs, our engineers don’t just develop things – we have an impact. We change the way how people are managing their finances by building the best products and services for our users.
Numbrs engineers are innovators, problem-solvers, and hard-workers who are building solutions in big data, mobile technology and much more. We look for professional, highly skilled engineers who evolve, adapt to change and thrive in a fast-paced, value-driven environment.
Join our dedicated technology team that builds massively scalable systems, designs low latency architecture solutions and leverages machine learning technology to turn financial data into action. Want to push the limit of personal finance management? Join Numbrs.
You will be a part of a team that is responsible for developing, releasing, monitoring and troubleshooting large scale micro-service based distributed systems with high transaction volume. You enjoy learning new things and are passionate about developing new features, maintaining existing code, fixing bugs, and contributing to overall system design. You are a great teammate who thrives in a dynamic environment with rapidly changing priorities.
All candidates will have
- a Bachelor's or higher degree in technical field of study or equivalent practical experience
- hands-on experience with highly concurrent production grade systems
- experience with micro-service based architecture
- strong hands-on experience with Golang (minimum 4 years)
- knowledge of AWS, Kubernetes, and Docker
- excellent troubleshooting and creative problem-solving abilities
- excellent written and oral communication in English and interpersonal skills
Ideally, candidates will also have
- experience with professional software engineering best practices, coding standards, code reviews, testing and operations
- experience with CI/CD toolchain products like Jira, Stash, Git, and CircleCI
Since its beta launch in 2017, Proxy has experienced a higher growth rate than any other Twilio product in their first two quarters of life. Companies like GrubHub, Fedex, and Dominos have been onboarded in less than a couple of weeks! The next few quarters will be crucial for Proxy: We need to scale it and bring it to GA - Proxy is a key component of Twilio Flex and we are expecting a sharp traffic growth. Come join us if you get excited to see your product taking off across so many users. We need to build a whole new set of features - Proxy is evolving to become the next big Twilio Engagement Cloud pillar after Twilio Flex. Come join us if you are passionate about creating solutions that open new markets.As a Technical Lead you will be responsible for:
- Driving architecture and building systems for multiple orders of magnitude of growth.
- Take full end-to-end ownership of your services, from designing to operations and monitoring in production.
- Have the opportunity to mentor and help grow engineers.
- Working alongside Product in brainstorming ideas, defining, scoping and planning work.
As a hands-on Tech Lead at Twilio, you are empowered to create wonderful experiences for our customers, who are developers and builders.
- You will be tackling some of the world's most complex distributed system challenges, at an enormous scale, while maintaining a 99.999% of both API availability and success rate. There's no maintenance windows ever at Twilio.
- You are excited when you release something that makes it easier for a developer to focus on the creative side of code.
- You think about how your product will help the customer that spends $10s of millions with Twilio, and the customer who hasn't spent $1 yet.
- You will own, create and operate REST APIs and infrastructure to support the world's largest brands. These services will transform the way people operate their business.
- Your services will go from concept to sustained exponential growth in a very short period of time.
- You enjoy getting the MVP out the door, and you know that to take services to scale require developing a complex distributed platform and will be concerned with availability, throughput, latency and real-time responsiveness.
- You have experience in a functional programming language, ideally in Scala. -Bachelor's degree in a computer science related field or equivalent experience is a minimum requirement.
- Bachelor's degree in a computer science related field or equivalent experience is a minimum requirement.
Massdrop Engineering is a small, fast-moving team dedicated to fundamentally changing the way enthusiast communities buy and interact online. We’re looking to grow our engineering team with a seasoned web developer who ideally has experience with React and Node.
As a Principal Software Engineer you will be a key contributor to technology at Massdrop. You’ll have direct impact on the company by leading development of some big and exciting projects. You’ll work closely with Engineering, Product, Design and Data teams deliver amazing experiences to our enthusiast communities as we grow and scale.
Who You Are
The ideal candidate should be strong in a majority of the bullet points below:
- Able to turn business objectives into researched, working technical solutions.
- Have a history of strong technical ownership on past web development projects - were you the “go to” person to get something built/investigated/fixed?
- Have knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Feel comfortable in lead position - able to guide a small team to success on a large project.
- Understand the value of team processes and are able to help others abide by them.
- Are comfortable providing development time estimates, both rough and detailed.
- Have experience with “ops” work - able to resolve production breakages or emergencies while maintaining a cool head.
- Have strong written and verbal communication - especially when interacting with other disciplines such as Product Management and Design.
- Enjoy mentoring others.
And proficient with most of:
- MySQL or other relational db
- AWS or other cloud environment
Who We Are
Massdrop is community-driven commerce. We design products with input from our members and give them a place to connect, learn, and shop with people who share their interests.
The engineering team contains of a number of seasoned developers who have scaled web apps beyond 10M daily active users. With our combined experiences we’ve distilled good practices and processes to ensure a healthy, sane, and efficient work environment. We’re all about quality engineering, not big egos; the best ideas win here.
If this sounds like the right environment for you to continue your software engineering career, then please submit an application. We’d love to talk with you!
Location: Paris, France or remote
Software Heritage is hiring: seeking a Paris-based full-time devops engineer
Software Heritage is an ambitious nonprofit, entirely Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) project that aims at collecting, organizing, preserving for the very long term, and sharing all publicly available software in source code form, together with the corresponding complete development history (e.g., from a Version Control System) where available. The Software Heritage archive already contains about 6 billion unique source code files and 1 billion commits, retrieved from more than 80 million software projects.
We are looking for a senior devops engineer with either strong (Python) programming skills and a pronounced interest in (GNU/Linux) system administration or strong system administration skills and backend programming experience, to grow our operations team. The team is in charge of guaranteeing reliability of our day-by-day archiving activities, integrity of the Software Heritage archive in collaboration with mirror operators, and maintaining an efficient development environment for our developers.
The right candidate will:be a strong critical thinker and efficient problem solver, be able to communicate and work collaboratively with team members, be able to dig deeply into technical details, configurations, and scripting, lead incident response, diagnosis and follow-up on system outages or alerts across the entire infrastructure, have a knack for keeping the complexity of large, heterogeneous distributed system under control.
As senior devops engineer you will primarily work with the following technologies:Debian GNU/Linux, Puppet, PostgreSQL, Distributed architecture (RabbitMQ, Kafka), Icinga/Prometheus/ELK monitoring, Proxmox, KVM virtualization, LXC and Docker containers, large scale object storage (Ceph, cloud-based object storages), AWS and Azure, POSIX shell scripting, Python programming.
Working knowledge or interest of the following techniques and technologies would be a plus:highly scalable architectures, microservice based architectures, event driven infrastructures, IaaS/PaaS cloud offerings, Debian packaging, REST API principles, C system programming.
A successful candidate will have strong system administrator skills and programming fluency in at least a couple of system- and/or application-level programming languages, as well as a solid track record of participation in existing FOSS projects and communities.
All the code developed as part of this position will be developed openly and released under a FOSS license.
Workplace and salary
The job should be worked on-site at Inria’s Paris headquarters. Remote work might be an option, depending on the candidate and on their willingness to visit headquarters on a regular basis.
The salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
As a DevOps Engineer, you are embedded within an engineering team and have one foot in operations, the other in development. You care deeply about uptime, reliability and automation. You help your colleagues make product changes quickly and all of us deliver value to our clients faster. You do things like help get new services into production, ensure effective monitoring and alerting and help us grow our infrastructure platform to accommodate the demands of a growing client base, and so forth.
You will fit in well with us, if you:
- Reside in North or South America. Yes, we are a distributed company, but since we are still small, we like to minimize the time zone spread within the team.
- Are an excellent communicator. In our small team, English is the official language. You need to be able to articulate complex ideas efficiently and effectively. When people do not share an office, it is essential to pay extra attention to communication.
- Have a solid technical background. You should have at least 5 years of professional experience and be able to point to a track record of caring about production systems with significant usage.
- Feel at home with Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Linux and shell scripting. You have been working in current cloud-based environments (such as AWS or GCP), but you don’t feel tied to one platform and generally appreciate picking the “right tool for the job.”
- Like to learn and strive to do so often. As a company we improve to the extent that our team does. It starts with each individual. Humility and an open mind help a lot.
- Ideally know what it is like to work in distributed development teams, or better yet, thrive in them. It probably means you already know you don’t need a structured office environment with a manager who checks in on you once a day. Likewise, you know that you will do best from your home office.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and the communities we serve.
Principals only please.
- Reside in North or South America. Yes, we are a distributed company, but since we are still small, we like to minimize the time zone spread within the team.
Right now, we are looking for a project based position for our operations. Like the whole team you can work from anywhere. This is an opportunity for you to work and influence a fast growing SaaS service. You’ll work on our GraphHopper Directions API infrastructure and lead the architecture discussions, as well as taking care of failures and complications related to our cloud offering. And furthermore improve the system through more automation and testing. Travel is not required. The communication is mainly done through slack, Email and GitHub tickets.
- Develop software for our distributed systems and GraphHopper Directions API offerings
- Ability to work with a remote team and speak in English
- Active communication and discussion style
- Preference to self-learning
- Experience with automation (CI) and automate as much as possible
- Experience with Linux cluster administration
- Expertise with Ansible
- Experience or ability to respond to operational issues
- Expertise with bash or python scripting or Java
- Bachelor or MS Degree in Computer Science
- All team members take care of a good work-life balance
- Competitive pay
- You’ll be supported to speak about your work in blog posts or at conferences if you like