TL;DR: this job may be for you if:
- You want location freedom.
- You want to work on difficult computer science problems.
- You're bored with application-level development in SomeFrameworkJS.
- You dig TypeScript, and care about things like code cleanliness, novel architectures, designing for intellisense, and upstream code usability.
At Truebase, we have a software platform that extracts insights from Truth code (our open-source type-safe data language), and then uses these insights to emit various digital assets such as native Mac/Windows/iOS/Android apps, data visualization tools, web-based information systems, etc. This technique is based on years of scientific research, and we're now starting to gain major traction from large enterprises. We can't hire as fast as we can close sales.
But not for contrarian sake. We have a track record of achieving things deemed "impossible", which we've done by operating genuinely outside the box, rather than simply operating inside a different box, occupied by some ruling class. To be effective at Truebase, you should be energized by our tendency to violate convention, versus object with reasons why we should just do things like The Cool Kids™.
Side note: Everyone in this company dropped out of school. A lack of university degree makes you more appealing at Truebase (Pure Math degrees excepted).
Who You Need To Be
First and foremost, we're looking for people who can work at the system level. For example:
- Could you write your own custom regular expression evaluator?
- How about doing code transformations based on static analysis of abstract syntax trees?
- Does building some platform like Electron or React or Bitcoin from scratch sound exciting?
The idea is not that you've done these things specifically, but rather that you're eager to slay technical dragons of this level. Experience with application-level frameworks isn't of much use here-our outstanding issues do not look like "Implement a sharing of widgets", but rather "Implement bounded contravariance in the Truth type checker".
Additionally, we're looking for a fairly senior developer that understands what code engineered for a 10+ year lifespan looks like. You should be comfortable being given loose requirements, punching your way through unfamiliar territory, and coming back with an elegant, performant, well-thought-out code library that is a joy for other developers to use (inside or outside the company).
How to apply
1. First you need to apply, by sending us your "resume". You may interpret "resume" to mean anything from a link to your GitHub, to a link to a video showing a presentation you did, or maybe something else entirely.
2. We'll schedule a quick call to see what you're looking for, and answer any questions you might have. We expect you to lead the job interview.
3. We're then going to conduct a professional personality profile assessment (using the big 5). You can keep the results of this for your own purposes.
4. Then we'll set up a time for the final interview where we'll email you an open-ended question, such as "Should drugs be legal?". Then you have an hour on your to formulate an answer, after which we'll discuss over a call. (The goal of this is for us to walk away thinking "Wow, that was a well thought-out answer").
Things We Use
Development Tools: Visual Studio Code, TypeScript, WallabyJS, Git, Tower (Git GUI), GitScout, Verdaccio
Information Management: RocketChat, Typora, pCloud, BitWarden
Hardware: MacBooks / iMacs / Large External Monitors / Portable iPad Monitors
100% Remote: We have no office, and desire to keep it this way. We also have no citizenship preferences. Our only restriction is that we ask that you generally stay within the western hemisphere, keep some regular schedule, and be in a place with a relatively stable internet connection.
We Don't Cheap Out On Tools: We understand that time is far more expensive than tools. Let us know what equipment you need for your particular circumstance (are you a nomad? do you have a home office?), and we'll ship it to your door.
Work As A Contractor: You have the option to work as a contractor, which in many countries, results in significant tax advantages.
Referral Bonuses: We offer bonuses if you convince your friend to work for Truebase, and they get hired. Additionally, if you walk us into another company and we're able to make a sale, we'll give you a cut.
Competitive Salary: You should feel like you're "doing pretty well" working at Truebase.